

## **Minutes**

**1 September 2021**

**12:30 PM EST**

## **Zoom**

**Present: Alex Mulligan (Chair), Jordan Crocker, Nushrah Amod, Mario Lofranco, Danielle Landry, Jessica Li, Christina Tassopoulos, Courtney Cameron, Valentina Gavis**

**Call to Order (12:35 pm)**

**\*Land Acknowledgement read by N. Amod\***

Nush: talked about Kamloops exhibit at the Art gallery in Vancouver that pays tribute to the lives lost

## **President's Items**

**Motion: THAT we amend to the agenda to include discussing club access to campus space and clubs ratification**

**(Tassopoulos/Crocker) CARRIED**

### **1. Updates Roundtable**

Alex: Yesterday, I received an email from Professor Drake saying there will be another communication coming from the deans regarding access to campus space/library access, etc. On Sept. 1, social distancing and capacity limits were supposed to be dropped, but now we're not sure when. There were lots of memos sent regarding vaccines and another memo was sent saying it was full steam ahead in universities for labs/classes etc. I don't know what this really entails, I suspect not much because York has an internal policy that once a decision has been made about the structure of classes, that won't change. But it is something to be aware of. What that means for us is that there will still be restrictions on club events, just not sure what exactly those restrictions are. It appears that York's guidelines will be changing again. I am happy to report that we do have willing and able partners in the Dean's offices and there is a mutual understanding that we are here to help each other out and they have been so helpful with orientation month and have gone to bat for us numerous times to work with York. Hopefully will have more guidance for you soon.

Jordan: who is the new Assistant Dean Academic?

Alex: Prof Craig-Scott. I have not had much interaction with them. It has been Professor Drake, Mya Rimmon and Dean Condon that have been very helpful. The reason we haven't had in-person classes this week is because York made a sudden change because they didn't have technology to roll out vaccine stuff. Okay, back to updates.

Jess: for the three people who have not sent videos, please send. Have been working through summary submissions, it's a lot of work. The online submission form is not really working so some people may need to directly send their summary submissions to me by email. Should we tell people who the bartender is?

Alex: Yes

Jess: Bar manager is Ana Lordache and bartender is Max Pivetta

Mario: The audit is almost done.

Nush: I have no updates.

Courtney: I have been doing o-week stuff, waiting to hear what else we can do. Will go ahead with virtual events.

Val: I got a message from Aiish saying she's wrapping up the yearbook. I will have to call Lassman next week and figure out how we will start scheduling photos. Homecoming is on hold.

Alex: Mya Rimone wants to meet about homecoming again to discuss. We will have to push it. O-week has taken up a massive amount of time. Doug Ford is supposed to announce the vaccine passport soon so maybe that will change.

Danielle: Not many updates from me because I'm waiting for homecoming info.

Christina: I have no updates.

Jordan: My updates will be discussed later.

Insurance

Alex: I sent out the new update for insurance. We have an agreement with Osgoode that allows us to use space under certain conditions. One condition for JCR is that we need to have \$5 million in liability coverage. It costs over \$8,000 a year. Last year, the OEO agreed to amend the section to allow for \$2 million in liability coverage because we didn't have anything to serve. Based on restrictions, the JCR can only hold 17 people right now so it doesn't make sense to buy a lot of alcohol, so we requested another quote for \$2.5 million. It comes in at just over \$6,000. The OEO hasn't replied about if that agreement is still on the table. We can't really vote right now but I wanted to discuss it. Don't think we can do the JCR bar in the fall and they have said that when we can serve, we can increase coverage. So should we bite the bullet or wait? So what will happen is that I will follow up and get a response and we will vote next time. Or Mario, would u rather we wait until we figure out the budget?

Mario: It doesn't matter because we have enough money, we can just add retroactively to the budget.

Alex. Okay great.

### 3. Upper Year Agendas

Alex: we have 110 Upper Year agendas left. We have to figure out how to distribute agendas. Last year, Sydney allowed people to pick up agendas at her condo. One idea is seeing if we can get approval for an off-campus park hangout. People can register and we can distribute them there.

Nush: I think last year Karin had a table set up and people could come get them.

Jordan: yeah, we had multiple locations: downtown, on campus.

Mario: what about mailing them?

Jordan: yeah we mailed to 1Ls.

Val: I volunteer to be the downtown contact.

Alex: Danielle volunteers to be the on-campus pick up. I don't know if we still need to request access to campus space 7 days in advance

Christina: I'm just worried that people might complain about going to campus just to pick up an agenda, so we might have to take a hard stance on not shipping if that's what we decide is best.

Alex: yeah we'll have to figure it out but I see what you're saying. We could do a signup.

Nush: maybe setting up a signup is a good idea for fairness and give people the option where to pick up or mailout and then determine how many people would need shipping and calculate budget.

Val: We should make it so that we don't mail to M postal codes because they are able to pick up somewhere decently close.

Alex: I will see if Mya Rimone is willing to pay for shipping.

Nush: If Mya mails them out, it may mean that we have to label and package them all and then give them to Mya. I can message Karin about a label maker.

Jess: is there an option to charge people for shipping. Because then it could incentivize them to pick up.

Alex: I am okay with that. Let me talk to Mya first.

Val: I mailed out a bunch of books and the lightest one with the cheapest possible shipping was 9 dollars but because the agendas don't fit in a regular envelope, the charges might be pricier. So if we do it through York it might be cheaper.

#### 4. 1L Elections and Special Projects

Alex: I don't have a date yet. I need to discuss with Chloe. CEO applications went out. There is a rule in the Constitution that elections have to be 35 days from election which is October 4 and too late. Ideally we would o 12th or 19th of September which is soon but it's okay because there is not much of a campaign period for 1Ls. CEO will be picked by hopefully next week. I want you to start thinking about special projects that you want help on.

Jordan: How are the 1Ls voting? Last year Caucus had a different system (ranked ballot) and L&L has just a winner take all. Will we be changing that?

Alex: at this point we don't have time to change how elections will be conducted because that would need constitutional reform. So it will be the same but we can talk about changing that in the future.

Nush: how do we decide the CEO?

Alex: you, me, and Chloe sit on a committee and choose.

Val: was there an email or post for the CEO positions?

Alex: Yes. I will ask Jess to re-advertise that on Friday as a reminder

#### Fall Plans

Alex: I was hoping to have more info but at this point I don't. For homecoming team, we honestly cannot plan it. Courtney, try starting to plan online events. Jess, sorry the JCR won't be running. Danielle and Val, if you want to do online events, you can. Danielle, maybe we can do a de-stressor on call day?

Danielle: I have been getting a lot of messages from 2L asking about updates for homecoming. Maybe we can release an update.

Alex: yes

*C. Duggal joined at 1:15*

#### 6. L&L Social:

September 10, we will discuss a place/time.

#### Room booking for clubs

Alex: It would appear that clubs will be able to book spaces on campus. Equity seeking clubs should have priority to access to space. Osgoode admin pushed room booking to us to figure out. They will give us 2 seminar rooms set aside for L&L, clubs, and groups to meet. They have a capacity of 10 and 7 people each and would be available starting September 13 from 8-10 every weekday. We would establish a schedule of meetings in these rooms. We would have exclusive control over URL to book people in. As it currently stands, clubs would need to request access at least 7 days before event. Allegedly as of September 13 there might be further COVID changes and 7 day request period MAY no longer be required. The only flexibility we would have is establishing how clubs would book space on campus. The capacity limits will increase as distancing requirements decrease. We have to discuss (1) If we want to be in charge of this and (2) If we want to ensure priority access for equity groups. Personally I think what we should do to control the booking is release room booking slots 2-3 weeks in advance and give the equity groups an extra week to book. I'm not comfortable just arbitrarily deciding who gets the room and who doesn't because that will just cause conflict. So first come first serve, but release to equity groups a week before.

Jordan: Yeah, that would work. What platform will we use for booking?

Alex: Admin would set that up for us.

Jordan: okay, I'm very grateful for that..

Alex: all infrastructure should be given to us.

Nush: So to clarify, the equity-seeking groups submit their booking requests a week in advance of everyone else? And they would automatically get their requests achieved first?

Alex: yes. This is a big task so I will help Jordan and this is a good project for 1Ls

Nush: yeah, I also think we need to do case-by-case approach as well and consider certain factors when making decisions about requests: urgency of event, why space needed, purpose of event

Alex: Yeah, could you maybe work on that.

Jordan: Also, we need to decide who we classify as an equity seeking group so we might need to narrow that down.

### **Treasurer Items**

#### **1. Talk/vote about paying for an independent website manager**

Mario: looking to get someone to run the finance website. We have been running into issues because the lawyer who was supposed to work on it hasn't despite our reminders, so we need to discuss. The good thing about this website is that it is very specific to L&L. So should we pay Dan to do a certain amount of work to incentivize him to spend some time running it for us? But that is subject to him accepting payment.

Jess: are u looking for someone to run the website or move to completely different website?

Mario: Well for example, when we wanted to make e-transfer an option, he was supposed to that and just never did. So just something like that.

Jess: Okay because when I came into this roll, Rachael suggested getting a webmaster for the website. I have been working on stuff on my own and I don't know if there's enough work just for me to hire someone but if it was for me and you, maybe it would be worth it to hire someone.

Jordan: Students working as webmaster is not often as timely either.

Mario: when you mean webmaster, what would that entail?

Jess: yeah, a student who we give an honorarium too. But yeah, because it is just a set amount, no guarantee they will be efficient.

Mario: does anyone have any contacts who might be willing to do it? Or we hire external firm? Even if that's more expensive, it might be the best solution to avoid inefficiency. But not sure what you guys think.

Alex: we really do run our own website, it is really just the emails and programming that Dan does. But maybe it would be wise to touch base with Dan and see if he would be willing to accept an honorarium. If not, we can discuss if it is worthwhile to hire someone

Jess: I'm just thinking that whether we give him an honorarium or not, it won't make a difference in his prioritizing of this website.

Alex: yeah, I'm just thinking that he owns IP rights and we would have to buy the website off him since it is his property. Also, he's paying a server fee and never has asked L&L to cover it. So yeah, let me talk to him

#### **2. Discuss/vote about if we should get a new auditor again**

Mario: I am having trouble with the auditors. I wanted to see if people are interested in new auditors. The current ones are awful.

**Motion: To give Mario the authority to get quotes for other potential auditors.**

**(Lofranco/Crocker) CARRIED**

Discuss/show people the budget

Mario: I am meeting with the bookkeeper tomorrow, will go over it. Then will circulate it around. At next meeting, we can go through it.

Alex: when you circulate it, will that be the chance for execs to make budget requests? Like if Courtney wanted 500 for online events, can she ask for it then?

Mario: yeah. Plus we have a lot more money this year since we did not use much last year.

## **VP External Items**

### **1. Clubs Fair**

Jordan: reminder that it is happening 12:30-2:30 on Friday. Just need some people to sit at the table for L&L, caucus, and senators. We are the only groups that are not limited by time.

Alex: We also have the student government symposium at 3 that day.

### **2. Clubs ratification**

Jordan: I went through all the submissions for club ratification. There are 55 clubs to be ratified so far, waiting for 1 more. With that, would like to share motion:

***THAT the Legal and Literary Society, given that; the following groups have attended the All Clubs Meeting and that they have submitted all ratification documents to the satisfaction of the Vice-President External, hereby ratifies the following clubs for the 2021-2022 year:***

***Osgoode Peer Support CentreOsgoode Runnymede Society***

***The Competition Law Society – Osgoode***

***Osgoode Environmental Law Society***

***Disability Collective of Osgoode***

***Black Law Students’ Association of Osgoode Hall Law School***

***Osgoode Society for Corporate Governance***

***Osgoode Mental Health Law Society***

***Osgoode Indigenous Students’ Association***

***Osgoode Securities Law Association***

***The Canadian Italian Association of Osgoode (CIAO)***

***Osgoode Business Etiquette Team***

***Osgoode Hall Criminal Law Society***

***Intellectual Property Society of Osgoode (IPSO)***

***Nyantende Foundation – Osgoode Law Chapter***

***Osgoode Business Law Society (OBLS)***

***Jewish Law Students Association (JLSA)***

***Korean Law Students’ Association***

***Osgoode Real Estate and Infrastructure Student Association***

***Osgoode Feminist Collective***

***Osgoode Venture Capital Law Society***

***International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP) Osgoode***

***Osgoode Entertainment & Sports Law Association***

***Osgoode Animal Justice***

***Osgoode Tax Law Association (OTLA)***

***JD/MBA Students’ Association (JMSA)***

***Osgoode Hall Athletics Association***

***Osgoode Privacy Law Society***

***The Osgoode Bankruptcy & Insolvency Club***

***Osgoode Hall Chess club***

***Osgoode Constitutional Law Society***

<i>South Asian Law Students Association (SALSA)</i>
<i>Legal Entrepreneurs Organization</i>
<i>Asian Law Students Association</i>
<i>Fair Change Community Services</i>
<i>Osgoode Charity Law Association</i>
<i>Osgoode Latin American Students (OLAS)</i>
<i>Osgoode Muslim Law Students' Association</i>
<i>Osgoode Employment and Labour Law Society</i>
<i>First Generation Network – Osgoode Hall Chapter</i>
<i>Osgoode Health Law Association</i>
<i>Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers (Osgoode Chapter) (AKA “CARL Osgoode”)</i>
<i>Osgoode Mooting Society</i>
<i>Osgoode Hall Family Law Association</i>
<i>Osgoode Emerging Technology (OETA)</i>
<i>Osgoode Fashion Law Society</i>
<i>Osgoode Middle Eastern Law Students' Association</i>
<i>Osgoode Hall Law Union</i>
<i>Osgoode Tamil Law Students' Association</i>
<i>Osgoode Art Law Society</i>
<i>Osgoode Advocacy Society</i>
<i>Osgoode Mature Student Association</i>
<i>Osgoode Women's Network</i>
<i>Osgoode Christian Legal Fellowship</i>
<i>Osgoode OUTLaws</i>

**(Crocker/Cameron)CARRIED**

Jordan: there are 2 new groups: Nyantende Foundation and Osgoode Business Etiquette Team. To their credit, although it is a business club, no one else says they do this kind of stuff. However, there are lots of Osgoode Business Groups and I am worried there are too many clubs. I would like to do a business law firms roundtable so that there is not as much overlap. But have to ratify because of precedents.

**MOTION: THAT the Legal and Literary Society, given that: there has been no communication from the following groups; they have not attended the All Clubs Meeting; and that they have not submitted any ratification materials, declares the following clubs as defunct:**

***Osgoode Law Games Association***

***Osgoode Photography Club***

***Osgoode Earth Law Club***

***Jogisprudence***

***Osgoode International Legal Partnership (ILP)***

**(Crocker/Tassopoulos)CARRIED**

Alex: I'm disappointed that Mario didn't get Jogisprudence up and running.

Mario: I TRIED!

**Secretary Items**

1. Canva subscription

Christina: I just wanted to raise the idea of paying for a Canva subscription. I know I would benefit from it greatly and I am also on OPSC and some people have been asking about it and maybe the clubs could have access to it as well. I can look into how much a membership would cost but I just wanted to raise it to you all preliminarily.

Alex: We have never had an account. I think we can look into it and then you can suggest it and we can make a budget request. Then we can vote on it.

Jess: yes, love this idea. Even just us without clubs, it would really benefit us. Might cause problems if we open it up to all clubs. There is a limit on who can use it, might be very costly.

Jordan: With L&L being a non-profit, I'm not sure if there is maybe a possibility of speaking to a representative and asking for a discount

Val: You should look into pricing. I paid a premium subscription on my own for a few months. But definitely would benefit all clubs.

Mario: It is \$150 a year.

Alex: Look into it and get back to us

***Motion: THAT the meeting be Adjourned.***

***(Mulligan/Li) Carried.***

***Adjournment (1:55 pm)***